Thanks to Patrick Lee for this example of Thin Provisioning and Real-time Compression…
- A 100 GB logical disk is presented to Microsoft Windows 2008.
- Win2K8 creates eight 10GB files on the logical disk (the files are very sparse).
- 100GB of volume space actually consumes 215MB of thin provisioned space.
- With compression turned on, the consumed space drops to 88 MB.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 5 (64-bit)
- ESXi 5.0
- AIX V6.1, V7.1
- Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server (32-bit and 64-bit)
Comprestimator will sample your actual data – i.e. provides real estimates, not just marketing promises.